Saturday, August 6, 2011

"A place is only as good as the people you know in it."

I know I do not talk about books often, but I do read, especially in the summer when there is less television and good pool weather. That being said, these are the books that you should read right now if you have not already, 1. because they are FABulous; and 2. because the movie adaptations are coming soon: The Help by Kathryn Stockett and The Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins. The Help movie is out this week and the first of The Hunger Games will be out next year. I have also finally read The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson, but am still on the fence about it. I realize that I am behind on some of these things, but that is mostly because I, obviously, watch a lot more television and movies than I read books. However, that does mean that I do not know what I am talking about here. Next on my list are the rest of the Larsson trilogy and Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin.

Alright, now on to what I am actually good at, which is watching and talking about movies :o)

I have recently, finally, gotten around to watching I Am Number Four and Arthur. Neither was very good, but I am glad that I can say that definitively now, instead of just assuming.

I Am Number Four was actually not as terrible as I thought it was going to be, but it was not that great either. I mostly saw it because of my love for Timothy Olyphant, but it also seemed slightly interesting when it came out in theaters. I waited until it came out on dvd because it did not get very good reviews, but I did want to see it eventually. The storyline was mildly interesting and the special effects were pretty cool, but there was just something about it that was not all that impressive.

It was based on the book of the same name by Pittacus Lore and is the first book of six. The second book is set to come out at the end of this month. I have also heard that they will make at least one more movie, but nothing has been confirmed. It is my hope that we will all be spared this sequel, but I guess we will just have to wait and see what happens.

I watched Arthur with a friend  and we both agreed that it was just awful. I love Russell Brand, and he was hilarious in this movie, but the plot was a disaster and half the time it was just idiotic. I often found myself turning to my friend saying, "what the hell is going on?!" To which she would respond, "I have no idea!" Even if you are going through Russell Brand withdrawl, please skip this movie and go watch Forgetting Sarah Marshall or Get Him To The Greek, which are so much better. However, it did make me want to see the original Arthur, which starred Dudley Moore. I am guessing that it is a much better movie, otherwise, I am not really sure why they would have done a remake.

What have you been watching lately? Any good movies, or even books, you think I should check out? Let me know in the comments, on Facebook or Twitter, or send me an email at ayetortuga@gmail.com!

xoxo
c
-------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment