Monday, June 6, 2011

"You want society to accept you, but you can't even accept yourself."

The holiday weekend threw me off my posting schedule a little bit last week and I apologize for that. Not that any of you actually really care, but I will try my best not to let it happen again :o)

And now onto business...

X-Men: First Class was very well done and highly entertaining. The story was interesting and was well-acted. It was over two hours long, but at no point did I feel like it dragged at all.

The movie begins by showing us where Erik Lehnsherr and Charles Xavier grew up and how those individual circumstances affected why they eventually end up on opposite sides of the mutant war. It gives us an idea of where William Stryker started and an interesting "history" of the Cold War. We are introduced to several new mutants and the first Cerebro device. We also find out how Charles ends up in a wheelchair.

James McAvoy and Michael Fassbender were excellent as young Charles and Erik. I have loved McAvoy since I saw him in Wimbledon as Paul Bettany's younger brother, Carl, but have not seen Fassbender in very many other things. He had small roles in Inglorious Basterds, Blood Creek and 300 but did not leave much of an impression on me. He was, however, fantastic in this film and I look forward to seeing him in other projects.

From the previews, it did not occur to me that Nicholas Hoult's character, Hank McCoy, was the younger version of Kelsey Grammer's character from X-Men: The Last Stand. I am sad to say that it actually took me half the movie to realize that they had the same name. There are also two original X-Men cameos in different scenes.
 
 

I would not say this has been the best movie I have seen this summer, but it was not a waste of my time or money. If you enjoyed any of the previous four movies, I would definitely check out this movie. However, you do not need to have seen the other movies to understand what is going on. In fact, it might be more interesting to watch this one first.


Even though I review films that are in theaters, I try not to give too many details because I do not want to spoil it for those of you who do not go opening weekend. If you would like me to be more specific about plots, please let me know in the comments section. You can also harrass me on Facebook and Twitter!

xoxo
c
-------------------------------------------------

No comments:

Post a Comment