Monday, May 2, 2011

"Throughout history, warriors were heralded. Stories were told, songs were sung, statues were built...

Today, it's easy to forget the sacrifices our men and women make when much of the country is more concerned with dancing celebrities."
------------------------------------------------------------------

I thought that NCIS: Los Angeles quote was more appropriate for today than anything I could have pulled from the movie about which I am going to talk. Thank God for the men and women who serve in our armed forces, without whom we would not be celebrating the way we are today!

And now on to more lighthearted matters.....


 First of all, I have to say that I was surprised by the number of people in the movie theater this morning at 11 a.m. seeing Fast Five on a Monday morning along with me. I guess I am not the only one that needs to get a life....or a job, as it were :o)

That being said, according to Entertainment Weekly, this fifth installment of The Fast and The Furious "outperformed all four previous movies by a healthy margin...smashing several records in the process."  It has had the biggest opening weekend of any other movie so far this year and the biggest April opening weekend for any movie ever. I would say that is pretty impressive.

When going to see a movie like Fast Five, you do not really expect anything except fun, and that is precisely what this movie has to offer.  I do think that it was a tad too long, mostly because it took a little long getting to the main heist, but overall, I really enjoyed it.  Although, getting to look at Paul Walker for two and half hours does help.

I only wish that after making the first one, instead of trying to work on other projects, Vin Diesel had come to terms with the fact that this was the path his career was supposed to take. Maybe then we would not have been subjected to 2 Fast 2 Furious, The Fast and The Furious: Tokyo Drift and The Pacifier before getting to the better sequels for this franchise. The fourth one was a little too complicated, but this one was much better and even set it up at the end for a sixth movie, which I hear is already in the works.  Just make sure you sit through the beginning  part of the credits in order to see that end scene!

There are a lot of action movies coming out this summer, many of which I plan to see, so if you are not a big theater-goer you can probably wait to see this when it comes out on DVD/Blu ray.  However, if you liked the first movie, you will definitely enjoy this film as well.


Instead of writing one big post a few times a month, I am trying to split things up and post a few times a week. I hope you enjoy the new format and, as always, I hope you will share your thoughts and questions with me below.

God Bless America!
xoxo
c

---------------------------------------------------------------

2 comments:

  1. Two things, Cath. The first flick in the franchise was "The Fast and The Furious," I think the sequel you're thinking of is the unoriginally named "Fast and Furious." Second thing: how can you bag on "The Pacifier?" It's a fantastic movie that shows Vin's softer side and also includes a bit of "The Sound of Music." I mean, how can that be bad? To top it off, it even includes such actors as Robert from Raymond and the mom from Gilmore Girls. It should've won an Oscar!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first movie was "The Fast and The Furious," the second was called "2 Fast 2 Furious," the third was "The Fast and The Furious: Tokyo Drift" and the fourth was "Fast & Furious." And I love Lauren Graham, but The Pacifier was just bad :o)

    ReplyDelete