Thursday, April 15, 2010

Art: Have you considered the possibility that he’s not in there?

Raylan: He’s in there
Art: You think he’s in there because you think he wants to see his kids, but maybe he doesn’t give a shit about his kids. He’s probably not a candidate for “Father-of-the-Year,” he has shot a cop, among other things
Rachel: If he’s not here then we don’t know where he is
Art: Well then you’re like some drunk who’s looking for his car keys under a street lamp cause that’s where the light is
---------------------------

In light of my newest obsession with Timothy Olyphant in Justified on FX, I have been trying to see more of his movies and TV shows, as is my way. I had already seen The First Wives Club, A Life Less Ordinary, the Sex and the City episode, Go, Gone in Sixy Seconds, Head Over Heals, Rock Star, Catch and Release, Stop-Loss and part of The Girl Next Door. You would think that I was already obsessed, considering how much of his work I had already seen, but it really was all coincidence. Until now, I had never watched anything because he was in it, he just happened to be in a lot of movies that I had seen. I found both Hitman and Live Free or Die Hard OnDemand and watched both of those. Unfortunately, the issue that I'm encountering is that he has been in several scary movies (ie. The Crazies, A Perfect Getaway, Scream 2, Dreamcatcher), which we all know I am not a fan of, and several not-so-good movies in which his acting skills were not fully utilized. He was also in several episodes of Damages, which is a show that I do not watch. I also never knew that he was on Deadwood, but did not get HBO so I could not have watched it anyway, so it is now in my Netflix queue. And, I know I have said this before, but if you are not already watching Justified, you really should be.

Hitman was alright, it was not horrible but it was not fantastic either. Something about it just did not flow very well. I had wanted to see it when it was in theaters but never did and never got around to renting it either. The action sequences were pretty cool, I just kind of felt like the role did not really suit Olyphant. Not that he is not a good actor, maybe it is just my personal preference, but I like him to play characters with more personality. Even when he is the bad guy, he is more fun when his characters are more playful. Like I said, it is not that he acted poorly, the character was just not written to have any personality.

I had that same issue with his character in Live Free or Die Hard. Overall, the movie was exactly what you would expect from a Bruce Willis movie. I had seen the first Die Hard, but none of the ones in between and you really do not have to see all of them to understand each one individually. I thought the movie as a whole was alright. The concept was pretty interesting and the action sequences teetered on the edge of realism...right up until the point where Willis jumped from a collapsing highway over-pass onto a jet, when it totally jumped off the edge into totally not realistic or humanly possible. I really only watched it because of Olyphant and Justin Long.

I tried to get back into watching my Netflix movies, as I had been neglecting them for a while. I still have not been in the mood for Rachel Getting Married, but I promise I will watch it soon! I did, however, watch Eight Men Out (to commemorate the official start of baseball season) and Wall Street.

After seeing my Philadelphia Phillies win the World Series in 2008, and compete again for the title in 2009, I cannot even imagine what would make any athlete throw a championship. What I did not realize was, the reason most of them did it was because the owner of the White Sox at that time, Charles Comiskey, was a cheapskate and never paid them their bonuses for making it into the series in the first place. And while I am in no way making excuses for their behavior, 1919 was a different time and players were definitely not paid anywhere close to what they are now. It is also interesting to see how Shoeless Joe Jackson is portrayed in this movie, compared to how he is portrayed in Field of Dreams. Not that they made him out to be a genius in Field of Dreams, but until seeing Eight Men Out, I had no idea that he was illiterate. Overall, I thought the movie was very well done and if you are a fan of baseball, you should see it.



I watched Wall Street to prepare for the sequel this summer and it was very good. Michael Douglas is brilliant as Gordon Gekko and I look forward to his reprisal in the sequel. Daryl Hannah annoys me slightly, but even she did not bother me as much as usual. I do not really have much to say about this movie, except that it came out in the late 80's, so if you have not seen it, you really should. Especially in light of our current economic situation :o)

I have also been slacking on going to the theater, mostly because there has not really been anything that I have desperately wanted to see. Although, I do really want to see How To Train Your Dragon. Also, Kick-Ass has been getting really good reviews. After seeing the commercials, I did not really have any desire to see it, but now I might need to check it out.

On a personal note, my friend that was in the hospital is doing much better and has been moved to a rehab facility. His improvement makes me ecstatically happy and I pray that he continues improving. Thank you to everyone who has been praying for him and his family, it really means more to me than you can possibly imagine!

xoxo
c

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No comments:

Post a Comment